Those who successfully complete this course should achieve the required standard of competence enabling them to contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness and the ability to recognize security threats and to respond appropriately. This knowledge shall include, but is not limited to:
- The meaning and the consequential requirements of the different security levels;
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans;
- Recognition and detection of weapons, dangerous substances and devices;
- Recognition, on a non-discriminatory basis, of characteristics and behavioural patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security; and
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures.